Monday, April 27, 2009

Other things that don't get mentioned much

I post quite a bit about my back and legs, since those are my primary problems these days, but one that lingers in the background comes up occasionally, in more ways than one. I also have what docotrs always refer to as GERD (gastro-esophagial reflux disease), what everyone else calls Acid Reflux. Yes, I do take meds for it, but even so, every once in awhile, in the middle of the night, a small quantity of stomach acid comes up from my stomach into my esophagus and even my mouth, burning my throat. Yes, I know, that sounds exactly like vomiting, and basically it is, just one small amount, no heaves, no repeat. Still, a very unpleasant way to wake up, and even after drugs (which contribute to the problem, by the way) it leaves me WIDE awake, at least for awhile. I've found that, at that point, the best thing I can do is play on the internet or read a book while I eat a 1/2 sleeve or so of plain saltines, with a glass of water (drunk sparingly, just enough to wash them down).

I so wish they could do brain transplants, I'd love to have a new, healthy body, wouldn't even need to be younger!

2 comments:

  1. You and my husband both. I sometimes worry he'll drown in his own acid in the middle of the night. Eating greasy foods makes it TONS worse, but it is impossible to convince him to stop--he likes his meat and greasy tacos too much. It's like having blood pressure and cholesterol 5 points away from a heart attack--and already experiencing one--and still eating BBQ, cheese, eggs, bacon, etc, all the time. Still playing soccer after breaking ankles, knees, wrists, to the point of pins and casts for whole non-soccer seasons. Jumping over fireworks right after your buddy's crotch catches fire doing the same thing. Pouring a container of gasoline on a weed fire shortly after getting singed from pouring a can of lighter fliud on said fire. Running after a moose that just charged your neighbor. Pouring pure capsacin oil on you tongue right after telling someone how very dangerous the stuff is. (yes, these are real events; no, most are not my husband!) I will never understand some men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try really hard not to be THAT stupid, but in my case the stuff that gives me heartburn is just about everything (really, even apple juice), so it's a catch-22, but thanks for your imput!

    ReplyDelete

Youse got sometin' to say to me?! Lemme hear it! Give me a name for the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon